Wednesday 11 June 2014

Reading Wednesday

What I've finished reading
Mirror Sight by Kristen Britain. I have so many contradictory feelings about this book. On one hand, it’s apparent that Britain is improving as a writer, and I did enjoy a lot of the book. There was a lot of new worldbuilding, and there felt like there was some character progression. It didn’t go as I expected, but it was still mostly enjoyable. 

On the other hand, this is the fifth book in a series that started in 1998, and it’s essentially filler because the end turns out to be filled with magical!memory loss with only a few notes to remember the whole 700+ pages by. Plus the majority of the book feels like Britain decided she wanted to write a steampunk novel but had to write this book first so she decided to get it in anyway she could. (That said, I did really enjoy her take on steampunk, especially in relation to the Green Rider world, but the rest of the series is very much high fantasy so it was rather jarring.) And Amberhill. I do agree with all the other reactions that having three personalities seemed quite over the top, but in the overall scheme of things I didn’t have to suspend my disbelief too much so I'll let it pass. I do think it would have been more effective with just the two personalities though.

Overall, I did enjoy the book (which is what makes it all the more frustrating), but I am really glad I went in knowing the ending as otherwise I would have been as annoyed as a lot of the other reactions I’ve seen. And the more I think about it, it is more and more just the ending I have a problem with. What is the point of writing a 700 page novel only to forget it/essentially make it never happen? At the end of the day, very little in the plot is further forward, more angst is set up and it just all feels like a waste of a book, especially since it is likely to be another three years to the next one (not the longest wait I know, but still).

What I'm currently reading
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. It’s shaping up to be a really intriguing, atmospheric read, and I am really quite enjoying it. Plus, the UK hardback edition I’m reading is a lovely book in itself.

Thief’s Magic by Trudi Canavan. I am also enjoying this so far. There are a lot of really interesting concepts, and I like the one main character I've met so far. He thinks things through! It's the sort of book where you don't think you've read much, then look up to discover half an hour has past and you are now 50 pages further on. 

What I'm reading next
It’s starting to become a bit of a joke, but I really am going to pick up Trading in Danger this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment