Wednesday 12 June 2013

What I'm reading 12/6/13

I've been a little quiet online lately becuase I've been a whirlwind of offline interaction, but I'm looking forward to catching up and hopefully sharing one or two of my adventures.

Onto this week's reading! 

What are you currently reading?

I'm back into Place of Execution by Val McDermid. Every time I put it down and think I'm not going to pick it up again, something else happens that draws me back in. I've also picked up Bujold's Komarr again.

What did you recently finish reading?

I ended up not finishing The City by Stella Gemmell after all. As I said before, there were a lot of intriguing ideas so I wish I had been able to, but I just didn't connect with the book at all. I've got bothing against the book, and I'll take a look when she writes her next one.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. I have to say it definitely lived up to it's hype for me. Despite some of the POV changes making me do a double take, I think it was well written, the characters felt real (as I suspected I was all ROBIN!, but I grew quite fond of Strike as well as I kept reading), and I enjoyed the plot. It's billed as the first in a series so I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Shattered Pillars
by Elizabeth Bear. I loved it. It was lyrical to read, hit so many of my buttons, and didn't feel like the middle book in a trilogy. I don't really have anything else to say as it really was one of those books that just hit all the right spots for me, but I am really looking forward to the last book in the trilogy.

What do you think you’ll read next?


I've got Laidlaw by William McIlvanney on short loan from the library so that at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment